oxf.am is a URL shortening site created by Oxfam. It's a simple site with some nice features, such as:
- Shorter URLs than the popular services. Our current autogenerated URLs are just 17 characters long (including "http://oxf.am/"). By contrast, both bit.ly's and tiny.cc's URLs are 20 characters long.
- Logged-in users can create their own custom URLs paths as short as one or two characters long.
- Logged-in users can track click statistics and see a history of all the URLs which they have created.
- Custom URLs are case-sensitive to maximize the number of URLs which can be created with the minimum number of characters.
- Custom URLs may contain unicode characters. Want to create URLs like http://oxf.am/♥, http://oxf.am/✌, or http://oxf.am/¡ǝɯosǝʍɐ-sı-sıɥʇ? Go for it!
- URLs can be swapped for the format www.oxf.am/a (as opposed to the usual http://oxf.am/a). This shortens the URL by an additional 4 characters.
- Autogenerated URLs contain upper and lowercase letters A-Z and 0-9. They do not contain any of the ambiguous characters "01lIO", so they can be easily rendered in print.
- oxf.am has a RESTful API service that allows 3rd party applications to shorten URLs on behalf of users. Users can generate their own site API key to give these services access without sharing their password information.
- The site is built on Open Source tools using Drupal and a module called ShURLy.
However, this site is not created to link to just any site on the interweb. It's for shortening URLs for Oxfam websites. Currently, you are able to create short URLs for pages on the following domains: